Other Utilities

Union Power Cooperative

View the monthly Union Power Cooperative newsletter for right-of-way clearing notices, tips and more.
Water and Sewer

Union County Water provides the majority of the Town's water and sewer. They can be contacted by dialing 704-296-4210. A small portion of Town is served by Carolina Water Services of NC. They can be reached at 1-800-525-7990.

Street Lighting

The Town provides street lighting on residential streets and thoroughfares through contracts with Duke Power and Union Power, depending on location. 

When street lights are out, citizens who use Duke Energy can contact Duke Energy to report the street light outage at
https://www.duke-energy.com/customer-service/request-light-repair-carolinas. If you use Union Power, you may contact the Public Services Division at 704-821-5401 or by e-mail. Please provide your name, address, phone number and the specific location by address of where the light is out. Also, let us know which power company is used in your neighborhood and we will forward this information to the correct power company.

The normal policy of both companies is to repair burned out lights within 5 business days, unless there are specific wiring problems. If underground wiring is an issue then the policy is up to 10 business days.

Citizens and subdivisions requesting new or additional lights may follow the Town Street Lighting Policy to make these requests.


Duke Energy and Union Power Cooperative services neighborhoods and businesses within the Town. Duke Energy can be contacted at 1-800-777-9898 for power issues. Union Power Cooperative can be contacted by phone at 1-800-794-4423.


Natural gas in the Town is provided by Piedmont Natural Gas. They can be reached at 1-800-752-7504. If there is a break in the gas line or other emergency, please get to a safe place and call 911.

Traffic Signals

All traffic signals in the Town are under the control of the NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT). All issues relating to maintenance, repair and timing are handled by the NCDOT.

Signal problems can be reported to the Town, 704-821-5401, where they are forwarded to NCDOT.  Or, they can be reported directly to the NCDOT at 704-982-1998.